Besant Nagar Beach, or Bessie, has located in Besant Nagar, Chennai. Also known as Edward Elliot’s Beach, It forms the endpoint of the Marina Beach shore. It has named after Edward Elliot (who was once the Chief Magistrate, Superintendent of Chennai, and Governor of Madras during the British times). Beach Timings are 06:00 am – 07:00 pm.
It has the Ashtalakshmi Kovil and the Velankanni Church in the vicinity. The spellbinding Beach is one of the cleanest beaches in Chennai. Situated towards the south of Marina Beach, an incredibly tranquil and calm place, it does not offer much activity. Hence, it is an ideal spot for long walks. Moreover, the site is perfect for tourists.
Besant Nagar Beach Timings:
- 1 Besant Nagar Beach Timings:
- 2 Best time to visit Besant Nagar Beach:
- 3 Besant Nagar Beach Entry Fee:
- 4 Things to carry at Besant Nagar Beach:
- 5 Tips for visiting Besant Nagar Beach:
- 6 Tourist Places nearby Besant Nagar Beach:
- 7 Places to eat at Besant Nagar Beach:
- 8 Hotels nearby Besant Nagar Beach:
- 9 Besant Nagar Beach Address & Contact Number:
- 10 How to reach Besant Nagar Beach:
- 11 FAQs:
- 12 Related Posts:
Beach Timings are 06:00 am – 07:00 pm.
|Monday||6 am – 7 pm|
|Tuesday||6 am – 7 pm|
|Wednesday||6 am – 7 pm|
|Thursday||6 am – 7 pm|
|Friday||6 am – 7 pm|
|Saturday||6 am – 7 pm|
|Sunday||6 am – 7 pm|
Best time to visit Besant Nagar Beach:
The best time to visit Besant Nagar beach is during the winter season between November and February. The weather is comparatively pleasant in the winter, with temperatures between 19 and 27 degrees C. Tourists can relax at the Beach during the day and enjoy the cool evening breeze.
Besant Nagar Beach Entry Fee:
There is no entry fee for the Beach. The parking charges at the Beach are also free.
Things to carry at Besant Nagar Beach:
The following items must have while visiting the Beach:
- Carry sunscreen lotion or cream with you to protect the skin from the heat of the sun’s rays.
- Swimming attires are a must to enjoy a dip in the sea waters.
- Carry sunglasses and hats to protect your eyes and head from UV rays.
- You must remember to carry your camera and accessories to capture some of the memorable moments at the Beach.
- Since you will spend a whole day at the Beach, taking a beach bag and towels is advisable.
- Keep a first aid kit in your beach bag for accidental injuries or emergencies.
Tips for visiting Besant Nagar Beach:
Here are a few essential tips for travellers visiting the Beach:
- Wear light, comfortable cotton and linen clothes while relaxing at the Beach.
- It is better to wear slippers and flip-flops for a comfortable walk around the Beach.
- The Beach is gorgeous during the sunrise and sunset. It would help if you took advantage of the opportunity to witness the glittering reflection of the sun’s rays on the sea waters.
- Restrooms, waste bins, drinking water facilities and eateries are inside the Beach.
- The Beach offers options for cycling around the area. If you are a cyclist, you must enjoy cycling in a calm and blissful environment.
- It is better to enter the Beach in the morning or early afternoon as after 5 pm the parking space is total.
Tourist Places nearby Besant Nagar Beach:
There were at least four lighthouses named Madras Lighthouse or Chennai Lighthouse, which face the Bay of Bengal east of the Indian Subcontinent in Chennai, India. The current lighthouse is a landmark on Marina Beach, built by East Coast Constructions and Industries in 1976 and opened in Jan 1977.
Thirupparamkunram Murugan Temple:
Murugan Temple is one of the most celebrated and highly revered temples in Yelagiri. This temple is dedicated to God Murugan and has located on the highest peak of Yelagiri Hills. The temple was constructed in 1964 and is a testament to the people’s beliefs.
Natesan Park is a park in Chennai, India. It had located on Venkatanarayana Road. The park covered an area of 4 acres and was opened to the public on 13 September 1950 by the then Minister of Agriculture, A. B. Shetty. It is the only park the Chennai Corporation maintains with a separate tennis court for coaching children.
In Chennai in Tamil Nadu, Marina Beach is a natural urban beach along the Bay of Bengal. The Beach is stretched out to a distance of 13 kilometres, making it the longest wild urban Beach in the country, the second largest in the world, and the most crowded in India, with almost 30,000 visitors a day.
Arulmigu Vadapalani Murugan Temple:
Vadapalani Andavar Temple is a famous Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Muruga. It had located in Vadapalani, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. It had renovated in the 1920s. A Rajagopuram has built during that time. The temple has grown in popularity partly due to cinema stars’ patronage.
Places to eat at Besant Nagar Beach:
Besant Nagar beach is famous for seafood and street foods. Fried fish, Mirchi bajji and corn on cub are some of the delicacies available at Beach. There are several restaurants near the Beach with a variety of food options.
Hola Besant Nagar:
It is one of the famous restaurants of Besant Nagar, offering tasty foods from Italian and Mexican cuisines. You can savour your taste buds with Chipotle chicken, Tacos, Pasta, and Pizzas.
BOATS (Based On True Story):
The restaurant offers delicacies from multiple cuisines, North Indian, Chinese and Continental. It is one of the renowned eateries in the region, with dining and drinking options accompanied by live music. The restaurant’s speciality dishes are nachos, pasta, roast chicken and chicken skewers.
It is a café serving continental dishes, different beverages, and desserts. Waffles, sandwiches, shakes, and cheesecakes are popular snacks in the café.
Murugan Idli Shop:
A shop is a perfect place for vegetarians. It serves south Indian and other veg dishes only. Idli, Dosa, Pongal, and uttapam are popular dishes in the shop.
It is another vegetarian restaurant offering dishes from North Indian, Italian and Continental cuisines. The restaurant also serves Jain meals and dishes. The famous delicacies of the restaurant are Lasagne, Corn Florentine, Malai Kofta and Mushroom Crepe.
Hotels nearby Besant Nagar Beach:
- The Leela Palace Chennai
- Turvaa Chennai
- Taj Wellington Mews Chennai
- The Park Chennai
- RMC Travellers Inn
- Kings Cross Residency
- FabHotel Colors Apartment
- First Inn Hotels Chennai
- Esthell Hotel
Besant Nagar Beach Address & Contact Number:
- Besant Nagar beach, Tiruvalluvar Nagar, Besant Nagar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600090.
- Contact Number: 9840666690
How to reach Besant Nagar Beach:
Basant Nagar Bus stand is near to Beach.
Indira Nagar Smt Station is the nearest railway station.
The nearest airport is Chennai International Airport, which is 15 km away from the Beach.
It is accessible by public and private transport, but a personal vehicle is advisable as there is a good parking facility (at weekends it’s very crowded). There are a lot of accommodation options nearby the Beach.
The Beach is a famous beach after Marina Beach. It’s good enough to spend a few hours in the evening, especially—Ample Two-Wheeler parking along the Beachside road. You will get Car parking if you are early, but after 7 pm you must park far away and walk.
The Beach is the cleanest among the seven beaches in Chennai, according to the conservancy facts compiled by the Greater Chennai Corporation. Neelankarai beach has received the last rank on various aspects of cleanliness among the city beaches.
Edward Elliot’s Beach, called Elliot’s Beach and popularly known as Besant Nagar Beach or the Bessie, is a natural urban beach in the Besant Nagar neighborhood of Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
So if you are looking for a beach that’s peaceful and offers privacy, head to Besant Nagar Beach. Many fancy cafes and restaurants around the Beach are open till late at night for you to try before you head back to your hotel in Chennai.
It isn’t kind to make comparisons on this point because Besant Nagar beach technically forms one endpoint of the 13-km Marina beach, considered the world’s second longest natural sandy urban Beach.