Last Updated on
Vijayawada Kanaka Durga Temple
Vijayawada Kanaka Durga temple is on the bank of the river Krishna.
This temple is famously known as “Sri Durga Maleshwara Swamy temple”, where goddess Durga is worshipped along with Lord Shiva.
Generally, as per the Hindu tradition, Goddesses take their position on the left of their consorts. But this is the only place where goddess Durga is on the right side to Lord Shiva.
History of Kanaka Durga Temple :
Once there lived a Yaksha named “Keela”.This Keela performed penance for goddess Durga and she appeared before him. Goddess asks him to make a wish.
Then he asks that ”he just want the goddess to be live in his heart forever”. The goddess Durga grants him the boon.
As Lord Indra worships goddess Durga on this hill.
Indra Keeladri is a combination of three words i.e Indra-Keela-aadhri, where
- Indra-The god who worships goddess Durga
- Keela-The yaksha
- Aadhri-The hill
How to reach Durga Temple Vijayawada:
- The city itself has an airport located at “Gannavaram” which it takes 52 mins to reach the temple via NH16 and NH65 of 25 km from the airport.
- Vijayawada is the headquarters for a South Central Railway, it is also a junction.
- From there, the government provides special buses especially for devotees to travel 3.5 km distance in order to reach Durga Temple.
- 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers are allowed to the top of the hill through ghat road and parking area is also available in Vijayawada Kanaka Durga temple.
- 4:00 AM to 6:00 AM
- 7:00AM to 11:00AM
- 12:15 PM to 4:00 PM
- 6:15 PM to 10:00 PM
These timings of darshan are “FREE” of cost.
Other than free darshan the authorities also charge for the darshan like VIP, VVIP which ranging from Rs. 50, 100, 300…etc.
During the special days or festivals like Navarathri, Sakambari Devi Utsavam…there will be no chance for any type of Special darshan except Sarva Darshan.
Vijayawada Temple Accommodation:
Officially there are no accommodations provided by Vijayawada Kanaka Durga temple Devastanam. We can find accommodation at nearby hotels and can find some local attractions to visit. Because the city itself maintaining under the Andhra Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation(APTDC).
- Hotel Green Valley ac.
- The Hotel Sripada.
- Hotel Sreenvivas.
- Continental Park Hotel.