Gunadala Church, or Mary Matha Shrine, St Mary’s Church, is located in a hilly region of Gunadala in the Krishna district near Vijayawada. An iron cross erected atop the hill is a rare distinction of the shrine. Gunadala Church Timings from Sunday to Saturday: 6:30 am – 7 pm.
It is in the hilly region of Gunadala in the Krishna district near Vijayawada. An iron cross erected atop the hill is a rare distinction of the shrine.
Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes is an annual event that attracts many devotees and celebrates enthusiastically and passionately. Many believers throng to this place on Sundays and on important occasions.
History of Gunadala Matha Shrine:
- 1 History of Gunadala Matha Shrine:
- 2 Gunadala Matha Festival:
- 2.1 Famous places to see around Gunadala Church:
- 2.2 How to reach Gunadala Matha Shrine
Italian Missionary, a man who was held in high esteem by the residents of the town, obtained a site of 25 acres of barren and bushy land at the foot of a hill of Gunadala -which was then outside the town -from the Government, where he opened an orphanage and school for boys.
The Gunadala site was partly donated and partly bought, Msgr. Pezzoni moved to Gunadala on June 15th, 1923, with 30 orphans of the Mission School at Bezwada (One–Town). It was the beginning of many institutions at Gunadala in Vijayawada.
Fr.P. Arlati is the first Manager of Gunadala Institutions; from his taking charge, he employed 50 workers to clear the whole jungle: it took months to complete the real work. The official opening date of the orphanage was June 15th in, 1924. In the same year, he started the Industrial School.
Gunadala Church Timings:
Here are the Gunadala church timings:
|Monday||6:30 am–7 pm|
|Tuesday||6:30 am–7 pm|
|Wednesday||6:30 am–7 pm|
|Thursday||6:30 am–7 pm|
|Friday||6:30 am–7 pm|
|Saturday||6:30 am–7 pm|
|Sunday||6:30 am–7 pm|
Interesting facts about Gunadala Church:
- It is a famous pilgrimage site and attracts large crowds for the annual feast.
- Very popular for the Christian followers of Mary, which is visited by many from different places.
- The huge cross fixed on the top of the hill represents the position of the Church.
- This Church is beautiful and situated on top of a hill.
Gunadala Matha Festival:
More than 10 Lakh devotees attend this Festival every year. Of those 10 Lakhs, only 60% were Catholics means 4 lakh remaining people are mixed people from different religions and, of course, Protestants.
The Festival starts with Holy mass on February 9th at 6.30 am, and around 8.30 am, Adoration will Start and end on February 11th late at night.
Rosary Prayers at Gunadala Church:
It means “Crown of Full Roses.” They say Holy mary every time they give her a beautiful rose and complete Rosary. The beautiful rose is the queen of all flowers, so the Rosary is the rose of all devotions.
The Sign of the Cross:
- And read, In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
The Lord’s Prayer:
- My Father in heaven,
- We glorify your name.
- Your Kingdom will come to earth.
- You should do your will on earth as it is in heaven.
- Give us our daily food,
- And forgive our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us.
- Lead us not into tempt, but deliver us from evil things.
- Oh, Mary, you have full of Grace. The Lord is with you.
- You are blessed among all women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.
- Mother of God, pray for our sin, now and at the hour of our death.
Glory Be To The Father:
- Give Glory to the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- As it was in the beginning, it is now, and ever shall be, a world without end.
Restaurants Nearby Gunadala Church for Accommodation:
- Hotel Srinivasa Restaurant
- Tulip’s restaurant
- Dal Roti Restaurant
- Open House Restaurant
- Royal Touch Restaurant & bar
- Springs Restaurant
- Cross Roads Restaurants
- GreenPark Restaurant
- Ghazal Restaurant
- Shiraz Restaurant
Famous places to see around Gunadala Church:
- Bhavani Island is 0.9 km away
- Prakasam Barrage, 1.6 km away
- Sri Durga Malleswara Swamy Varla Devasthanam is 2.8 km away
- Gandhi Hill
- Rajiv Gandhi Park
- Kanaka Durga Temple 5 km away
- Undavalli Caves 8 km away
- Prakasam Barrage, 5.5 km away
- Moghalrajpuram Caves 3 km away
- Bapu Museum(Victoria Museum)
Travel Tips for Gunadala Matha Shrine:
- Sunday will be a full rush for the Sunday mass.
- Maintain silence inside the Church.
- Photography is not allowed inside.
- Don’t carry large bags inside the Church.
- Switch off your mobile phones inside the Gunadala Church.
How to reach Gunadala Matha Shrine
By Air:- The nearest airport to Gunadala Matha Shrine is Vijayawada airport which is 15 km away. You can book a cab to reach the Church.
By Rail:- The nearest railway station to the Church is Vijayawada Junction railway station, which is at a distance of 6 km. From here, you can take a rickshaw and go comfortably.
By Road:- You can take public transport like an auto or rickshaw to reach the Church, which you will get easily here.
Gunadala Church Address:
Eluru Rd, Lurdhunagar, Christurajapuram, Gunadala, Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh 520004
Entry Fee: No Entry Fee
Official Website: www.gunadalashrine.org
Gunadala Church Phone Number:
Church Mobile Number: 9948695979
It is located at Lurdhunagar, Christurajapuram, Gunadala, Vijayawada, Vijayawada.
Entry fee and timings information of the Gunadala Matha Shrine: Gunadala Matha Shrine is open from 06:30 am to 07:30 pm all days a week; no entry fee.