Bannari Mariamman Temple locates at a distance of 14 km from Satyamangalam in Erode district. It had revered as the famous abode of the Goddess Mariamman of Bannari. Bannari Amman temple timings are from 5 AM to 9 PM.
Bannari Amman Temple
The villagers built a shed with a forest herb called ‘Kanangu’. Over time, thatched roofs are replaced by tile ceilings. Villagers raised philanthropists’ funds, and villagers repeatedly rebuilt the temple structure and built the dome on top of the sanctuary.
A British official in charge of the forest department did not allow the public to cut down trees for the Kundam festival. Immediately, he began to suffer from vomiting and diarrhoea. He realized his mistake and prayed to the Goddess to forgive him.
His health restores by the holy ashes and water brought from the temple. He then allowed the people to cut down trees from the forest for the festival.
The temple faces south and is surrounded by dense forests, with rich vegetation in the south, north and west. The range of mountains and the background of the hills add charm to the abode of the Goddess.
Near the temple, animals such as elephants, wild boars, bears, deer, and monkeys are in the surrounding forests. Beautiful peacocks and a variety of birds can also see here.
The festivals celebrated at the temple are the Golden Chariot Festival, the Kundam Festival, the donation of yellow water, the Thiruvillakku Puja and the Maru Puja. Instead of the sacred ashes, the sand in the mound had offered as an offering.
The deity is Swayambhu Murthy. Many pujas are performed here on Kalashanthi, Uchikalam, Sayaratchai and Arthasamam.
Women devotees participate in the Thiruvilakku Puja on the last Friday of every Tamil month. Thousands of devotees from South India flock here to pay homage to the Goddess with utmost devotion.
History of Bannari Amman Temple
In ancient times, Tamil Nadu had five divisions known as Chera Nadu, Choja Nadu, Pandya Nadu, Thondai Nadu, and Kongu Nadu. Kongu Nadu locates on the western side of Tamil Nadu.
Mountains, rivers and forests add beauty to this fertile land. Bannari locates on the northwestern border of Kongu Nadu. Lately, it has become a pilgrim’s paradise as devotees from far and near visit this place.
In front of the temple, the Shobhana Mandapam had built in 1967 with 24 pillars carved into the sculptural beauty.
The Artha Mandapam, the Maha Mandapam and the Shobhana Mandapam enhance the beauty of the temple.
There are unique temples in and around the temple for deities like Ganesha, Bommairayan, Madeshwara Sarugu Mariamman and Muniyappa.
The Bommarayan Temple is on the west side of the Artha Mandapam, and the front of the Ganesh Temple is on the east side.
The Goddess Mateshwaran places on a slab on the temple’s south side. A small temple is facing west for Sarugu Mariamman builts near the temple pond. The temple’s consecration took place on the second day of this month.
There is a large pit on the west side of the temple pond. The water in the pit stays only during the monsoon season. In other seasons the water does not stop there.
On the left side of the way leading to the temple, the pond has placed a slab of the god Vandimuniyappar. The Chola clan pays remarkable homage to this deity during the festival of Amma.
Bannari Amman Temple Timings
Bannari Amman temple timings are the temple opens at 5 AM and closes at 9 PM.
|Kalasandi Pooja||5.30 AM|
|Ucchi Kala Pooja||11.30 AM|
|Saiyarachi Pooja||5.30 PM|
|Arthajamam Pooja||8.30 PM|
The Kundam festival celebrates in the Tamil month of Panguni (March-April). It is the most famous annual festival, and during this month, millions of devotees from different parts of the country flock to the temple, which is festive and merry. Erode district gets a local holiday during this famous pottery festival.
- Thiruvilakku pooja
- Murupooja Festival
- Golden Chariot Festival
Ticket price for Darshanams, rituals, & special Sevas
Below are some of the prices and timings for Darshans, rituals, and special sevas of Bannari Amman temple,
- Kala Santhi poojai – 5:30AM.
- Uchikala poojai – 11:30 AM.
- Sayaratchai pooja – 5:30 PM.
- Arthajamam pooja – 8:30 PM.
- Archanai – Rs.10/-
- Varam Pooja – Rs.10/-
- Extra Donation – Rs.30/-
- Abhishegam – Rs.10/-
- Amuthoottal – Rs.10/-
- Ear Piercing – Rs.10/-
- Hair Donation – Rs.15/-
- 4 Wheelers Vagana pooja – Rs.15/-
- New Account Pooja – Rs.25/-
- Abhishegam(Including Materials) – Rs.1/-
- Special Individual & Special Darshanam – Rs.3/-
- Individual Darshanam – Rs.30/-
- Kala Abhishegam – Rs.30/-
- Kumkuma(1 Packet) – Rs.50/-
- Special Individual & Darshanam – Rs.50/-
- Namakaranam – Rs.201/-
- Thiruvilakku pooja – Rs.10/-
- Video Recording – Rs.20/-
- Gold Kavasam – Rs.250/-
- Vehicle pooja(2 Wheelers) – Rs.250/-
- Taking Photo – Rs.250/-
- Marriage Donation – Rs.1001/-
Nearest Temples around Bannari Mariamman Temple
- Pariyur Kondathu KaliAmman temple – Erode district – 43.00 km
- Avinashi Lingeswarar temple – Tiruppur district – 50.00 km
- Uttukuli Vetri velayutha Swamy temple – Erode district – 70.00 km
- Erode Sakti Vinayagar temple – Erode district – 74.00 km from Bannari Amman temple
- Kangayam KariyaKali Amman temple – Tiruppur district – 90.00 km
- Coimbatore Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy temple – Coimbatore district – 74.00 km
- Perur Patteeswarar temple – Coimbatore district – 85.00 km
- Thirumuruganpoondi Thirumuruganatha Swamy temple – Tiruppur district – 55.00 km
- Tiruchengode Arthanareeswara Swamy temple – Namakkal district – 97.00 km
- Mecheri Bhadrakali Amman Temple – Salem district – 112.00 km
- Pollachi Subramanya temple – Coimbator district – 119.00 km
- Srirangapatna Sri Ranganatha Swamy temple – Mandya district – 144.00 km
- Karuvalli Prasanna Venkata Ramana Temple – Salem district – 127.00 km
- Namakkal Narasimha swamy temple – Namakkal district – 132.00 km
- Salem Sugavaneshwarar Temple – Salem district – 134.00 km from Bannari Amman Temple
- Karur Kalyana Pasupateeswarar temple – Karur district – 133.00 km
- Mysore Sri Chamundeswari Devi Temple – Mysore District 136.00 km
- Kulithalai Kadamba Vaneswara Swamy temple – Karur district – 180.00 km
- Devarmalai Kathir Narasinga perumal temple – Karur district – 184.00 km
- Thanthondrimalai Venkataramana Swamy temple – Karur district – 154.00 km
- Vadachennimalai Murugan Temple – Salem district – 192.00 km
How to reach
- Calicut International Airport, Kozhikode – 234.00 km
- Kempegowda International Airport, Bangalore – 280.00 km
- Cochin International Airport, Cochin/Kochi – 237.00 km
- Tirupati Airport,Renigunta – 459.00 km
- Mettupalayam – 45.00 km
- Karaimadai – 47.00 km
Nearest Bus Stations
- Sayamangala – 13.00 km
- Puliyampatti – 33.00 km
- Bhavanisagar – 14.00 km
- Namiyur – 39.00 km
Coimbatore to Bannari Amman temple bus timings
Coimbatore to Bannari Amman temple bus timings is from 5:30 AM to 9 PM. Many buses are available from Coimbatore to Bannari (all buses from Coimbatore to Mysore pass through Bannari). Satyamangalam & Chamarajanagar are the main junctions to get more bus connections to Bannari.
Location of Bannari Amman Temple
Bannari Mariamman temple,
Bannari (Village), Satyamangalam (Taluk),
Erode district – 638401,
Contact: 04295 243 289