Agaya Gangai Falls are in a forest, Gangai Panchanati, and water flows to the Arapaleshwara Temple on the top of the Kolli Hills. The Agaya Gangai Waterfalls timings are 6 AM to 7 PM.
Agaya Gangai Waterfalls
It had surrounded by mountains and jungle on all sides. The Agaya Gangai Waterfalls surrounding this place are part of the Eastern Ghats. There is also a valley next door.
You can explore the valley’s beauty, surrounded by mountains with lush green vegetation. Agaya Gangai Waterfalls is a 300 feet waterfall from the Iyer River near the Arapaleshwara Temple.
It is also known as Peraruvi or Pei Aruvi by the people of the Kolli Hills due to its terrible resemblance to the Agaya Ganges and the considerable water flow.
To reach Agaya Gangai Waterfalls, one has to climb 1196 steps. The stairs are steep. It only takes 10 minutes to climb down.
The climb takes 20-25 minutes. Many shelters were built on the way to rest. One can also visit the Pambati Siddhar Cave near the Agaya Gangai Falls.
- Some options are available for accommodation at the top of Kolli Hills. Plan accordingly.
- Fewer options restaurants are available at Agaya Gangai Waterfalls.
- Keep cash in hand. Cards are not widely accepted.
- Driving on Kolli Hill Road is not so easy. It would be OK if you had complete confidence in your driving.
- Have some snacks or cooked food in your car, so you do not have to skip or delay your lunch/dinner until you reach the nearest town, Namakkal or Trichy.
- Be careful of monkeys and avoid food items at Agaya Gangai Waterfalls.
- Do not be polite to our mother nature. Avoid plastics and keep the destination neat and clean at Agaya Gangai Waterfalls.
Exploring Through Trekking
- The beginning point of this trek is a small village called Puliyancholai at the foot of the Kolli Hills.
- The last point is the magnificent Agaya Gangai Waterfalls.
- The entire trek lasts two days, the first day of which is the Pit Stop Arapaliswarar Temple.
- It is a moderate difficulty for a person who has trekked before and more difficult for a beginner.
- Staff can reduce the trek to one day; however, the last time to enter the Agaya Gangai Falls is at 3 PM.
- So if you want to go to the falls and spend some time (at least 3-4 hours), it is advisable to break the trek for two days.
- If you choose this route, January is the best time to trek to the Acacia Ganges after the monsoons. There is some good water flow in January, making your trekking route slippery.
- Apart from the monsoon season, you can be trekking at any time as the weather here is relatively pleasant.
- However, they need to know about the water flow before planning their trek.
Best time to visit
The Agaya Gangai waterfalls in Tamil Nadu can be visited throughout the year except for January, as the temperatures drop due to the elevation of this scenic destination.
During the months left, the weather in Kolli Hills is delightful. Therefore, February to December is the best time to visit Kolli Hills.
Agaya Gangai Waterfalls Timings
Below are the Agaya Gangai waterfalls timings:
|Day||Agaya Gangai waterfalls timings|
|Monday||6 AM – 12 PM|
4 PM – 7 PM
|Tuesday||6 AM – 12 PM|
4 PM – 7 PM
|Wednesday||6 AM – 12 PM|
4 PM – 7 PM
|Thursday||6 AM – 12 PM|
4 PM – 7 PM
|Friday||6 AM – 12 PM|
4 PM – 7 PM
|Saturday||6 AM – 12 PM|
4 PM – 7 PM
|Sunday||6 AM – 12 PM|
4 PM – 7 PM
Accommodation at Agaya Gangai Waterfalls
Are you looking for comfortable accommodation at Agaya Gangai waterfalls? Here is a list of the better ones that can offer exceptional services. Take a look!
Silverline Retreat Hotel
Address: Sandhana Paarai, Valazhavandhanadu, Kolli Hills Taluk, Namakkal
Price/Night: Starts from Rs 2,000 (double-sharing basis & tax excluded)
Address: Semmedu, Kolli Hills, Namakkal
Price/Night: Starts from RS 1,500 (double-sharing basis & tax excluded)
Nearby places to visit at Agaya Gangai Waterfalls
It is a small mountain range located in the Namakkal region. The Kolli Hills are part of the Eastern Ghats. It has 70 arches with mountains at about 1000 to 1300 meters.
The Kolli Hills cover an area of 280 km. It is also known as “Kolli Malai”, which means “Mountains of Death”, due to the early literary records of a film called Kollippavai at the top of the hill.
Legends say that the images at the top of the hills represent a pure spirit who seduced passers-by and killed them.
The hill has also been mentioned in many works of Tamil literature, such as Purananur, Silappathigaram, Ainkurnur and Manimekalai.
Muthugapatti Periyar Swamy Temple is located at the foot of the Kolli Hills and is a popular pilgrimage site. The temple has an open area with an idol of God under a banyan tree.
There is also a Cellular View Point viewpoint at the top of the Kolli Hills. From this viewpoint, one can see the view of the Kolli Hills valleys. Cellular View Point is the Rock Pillar of the Kolli Hills.
Namakkal Durgam Fort:
It had located on the summit of Namagiri. Namakkal Fort was built by Ramachandra Nayaka. The fort had flattened over an area of one and a half acres.
It also shelters the ruins of a Vishnu temple. The fort can be reached from the southwest by a narrow staircase. Two rock-cut cave temples dedicated to Narasimhaswamy and Ranganathaswamy can see here. Ancients had built the images of the deities here and the temples here of stone.
The temples here attract more and more tourists as they had naturally carved. There are also eight tirthas on these stones called holy water springs. It is the most significant “lotus”, which means the home of the lotus.
This place had considered sacred to Namgiri Amman. The place also has an 18 feet tall idol of Hanuman. The statue had been carved out of a single stone with a single stone.
Arapaleshwara Temple is an ancient temple built by the Chola dynasty in the famous Kolli Hills of Tamil Nadu. It was considered a famous place of worship for Lord Shiva all over South India.
The outer walls of the sanctum sanctorum had covered with inscriptions proving the donations made by the Chola kings to the temple.
The Siddhar Caves in the Kolli Hills of Tamil Nadu are sacred, serene, and near Agaya Gangai waterfalls. Myth had said that sages lived here, cultivated medicinal herbs, and practised particular medical practices.
These herbs had still found around caves. You can also see the famous Agaya Gangai Falls on the way to the caves.
TAMPCOL Medicinal farm:
Tamil Nadu Medical Plant Farms & Herbal Medicine Corporation Limited (TAMPCOL) has set up the Tampicole Medicinal Farm in Namakkal, Tamil Nadu. The farm is nestled amidst the famous Kolli Hills and is home to several medicinal herbs.
How to Reach
The Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation serves Namakkal Bus Station to reach the Agaya Gangai waterfalls. Government buses are available from Salem, which had well connected to nearby cities like Chennai and Madurai.
Alternatively, you can hire a taxi from the nearest airport or railway station, which costs passengers about INR 1000 to INR 1200.
The nearest Railway Head is Salem Junction Railway Station. And it is the nearest railhead to the Kolli Hills, located at a distance of about 90 km.
The nearest airport terminal is Tiruchirappalli Airport. And Trichy Domestic Airport is the nearest airstrip from Kolli Hills Hill Station.
The Kolli Hills, about 90 km away, can reach by regular flights from nearby cities like Chennai, Bangalore and Madurai.
Other Distance to Agaya Gangai waterfalls
- 1 km trek from Sri Arappaleeswarar Swamy Temple at Ariyurnadu.
- 12km from Semmedu.
- 55 km from Namakkal.
- 92 km from Salem.
- 138 km from Trichy and
- 400 km from Chennai.
Agaya Gangai Waterfalls, Near arapaleeswarar temple, Kolli hills, Tamil Nadu 637411, India
Feel like heaven on earth by reaching the Agaya Gangai waterfalls or Akasha Gangai Falls and travelling through the daring Kolli Hills. Kolli Hills is a beautiful and enchanting place hidden in Tamil Nadu. Anyone should visit such destinations at least once in their life.