Last Updated on
Sri Mukha Lingeswara Swamy Temple
Sri Mukha Lingeswara Swamy Temple has the main deity of this temple is Lord Shiva in the form of Lingam having a face (Sri Mukham) on the Lingam.
This temple is located in Sri Mukha lingam village of Srikakulam district on the bank of the river Vamsadhara.
Srimukha Lingeswara History:
As per the legends, Lord Shiva self-manifested here in a Madhuka tree to relieve the Gandharvas.
Vamadeva Maharshi curses the Gandharvas to born as tribals. Hence the Lord is called as Madhukeswara Swamy.
Generally, Shivalingams don’t appear in carving face but this temple is different from other Shiva temples.
Here the lingam is not in the stone formation but in the form of a fossil Madhuka tree with a natural face.
This temple built during 10th century A.D at the time of the chalukyan ruling period.
However, this temple faces east and close to Madhukeswara temple and separates by a wall.
At Sri Mukha Lingeswara Swamy Temple, this temple built during the ruling of Aniyankha Bhima at the time of 980-1015 A.D.
Moreover, this temple has many inscriptions like Brahma, Dakshinamurthy and Narasimha in southern, northern and western sides.
This is the last of the three temples polish Manusha lingam is manifested at this place.
However, images of Mahishashamardhini, Ganesha and karthikeya images are on board.
Timings of Sri Mukha Lingeswara Swamy Temple:
Generally, the darshan timings of this temple are from
- Morning Timings: 5:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- Evening Timings : 2:00 PM to 8:30 pm
Details are shown below:
|Name of the Pooja /Seva|
Sri Mukha Lingeswara Temple Timings of Darshan
|Sahasranamarchana Suprabhata Seva||5:00 am|
Special pooja and Sarva Darshan
6: oo am to 12:00 pm
|Anna Bhogam||12:30 pm|
1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
|Sarva Darshan||2:00 pm onwards|
|6||Ksheera Bhogam. Neerajanam and Mantrapushpam|
Sri Mukha Lingam Darshan Tickets:
|Cost of the ticket|
|15 Rs.||Special darshan|
|10 Rs.||Photo of the Lord|
Sri Mukha Lingam Temple Attractions:
- This temple is on the bank of the river Vamsadhara.
- It is an ancient temple built in between the 10th – 11th centuries.
- The Architecture of this temple is of Red Stone Sculpture.
- This is the only temple having natural carve face on the Lingam. Though there is no temple of Lord Shiva having the face on the Lingam.
- This temple is protected by the Archeological department.
Accommodation In Sri Mukha Lingam Temple:
However, there is no Accommodation provided by this temple. Devotees can stay in private hotels nearby this temple.
Some of the names of the hotels are given below:
|Accommodation name||Distance from temple|
|Hotel Nagavali||49 km.||New colony, Srikakulam.|
|2||Sri Rama Lodge||52 km.|
|Hotel Vijetha inn||50 km.||Vijetha junction.|
How to reach:
- The nearest airport is in Vishakhapatnam which is at a distance of 138 km.
- However, Vishakhapatnam railway station is the major railway station which is at a distance of 134 km. So, from there you can reach by road thereafter to Sri Mukha Lingeswara Swamy Temple.
- Patapatnam, Narsannapeta, and Seethampeta bus stations are nearby bus stations to Mukhalingam village. So, from there you can reach by local transport to this temple.
- However, APSRTC runs a number of buses from all major cities to here.
- Generally, there is no accommodation available near this temple. So, we need to travel nearly 60 km to avail accommodation in a private hotel in Srikakulam Town.