Last Updated on
Are you planning to visit Shankaracharya Temple in Srinagar? Well, you might be searching for its timings to visit right! Yes, you have reached the right platform to know about it.
Firstly, let us know What are Shankaracharya Temple Srinagar Timings? Shankaracharya Temple at Srinagar opens 8:00 AM in the morning and closes by 8:00 PM in the evening. But Vehicles are not allowed after 5:00 PM.
We can visit this Shankaracharya mandir at any time throughout the year including Sundays. The best time to visit the temple is between April to October because this period will enhance the scenic beauty of Srinagar. If you want to know more interesting details about the temple then just roll down to below…
Shankaracharya Temple Srinagar
Shankaracharya Temple is in Srinagar on the Zawarban Mountain at Shankaracharya Hills and it is famous for its hill station spot. It has an altitude range of 1585 meters. Here the temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
Also, Read about temples in Jammu and Kashmir
Briefly About Shankaracharya Temple History:
When it comes to the history of the temple it was built back in 371 BC. Previously the temple was named as Gopadari because the temple was built by the king named Raja Gopadatya.
But Later on, the legend philosopher Adi Shankaracharya used to live here and left the place centuries back. Since then the temple named as Shankaracharya temple.
This temple went through many damages as it was one of the oldest temples.
The very first renovation was done by Lalithaditya from the earthquake damage. And the second renovation was done by the Zain-ul-Abideen from the damage happened by the Sultan ruler. Again a Muslim governor renovated the temple from the third damage.
Later on, some small changes have been taken place.
- The steps to the hill were constructed by the Gulab Singh during 1846-1857 AD.
- Electrical Installation was done by the Mysore Maharaja in 1925.
- Placing the Adi Shankaracharya statue in the temple by the Dwarakapeetha Shankara Acharya in 1961.
- Road contributed to the temple by Jammu and Kashmir Government in 1974.
Beautiful Temple Architecture
The temple is mounted on the octagonal base platform which has the wall around it. Whereas the main shrine is in the circular dome shape. We can see the Persian inscriptions inside the temple walls. The temple has spectacular city views of Srinagar from the top of it.
Explore Shankaracharya Temple’s Local Attractions
Srinagar itself known for its tourist’s places. Here are some of the local attractions near the temple to visit
- Dachigam National Park
- Nagin Lake
- Famous Dal Lake
Ways to reach out Shankaracharya Mandir
- Firstly, we need to travel to Srinagar. If you choose to travel by air then you need to reach Srinagar airport namely Sheikh ul Alam Airport.
- From there, we can hire a taxi or private vehicle to reach the temple which is at a distance of 22 km.
- Or else if you choose to travel by train then we need to reach Jammu Tawi or Udhampur railway station which are nearer railway stations to the temple.
- From there it takes approximately 6 and a half hours to reach the temple in a private or government vehicle.
- Travelling through the roadway to the temple is the best as Srinagar is the capital city and can get easy access to vehicles to the temple.
It is one of the best places to visit once in a lifetime. The scenic beauty of the Srinagar can be an eye feast if we visit the Shankaracharya temple which the view is only possible on this hill station.
Now you got to know the details of Shankaracharya Temple Srinagar Timings, history and how to reach. So, plan your trip to the historic, scenic and devotion filled Shankaracharya Temple.
Shankaracharya Temple Srinagar Images
Must Watch, Shankaracharya Temple Srinagar video’s
This video describes how the temple looks like and the awesome scenic beauty of the Srinagar city in an aerial view.
Legendary Biography of Adi Shankaracharya in a video for you.
Shankaracharya Srinagar Temple, FAQ’S
He is the Legendary Indian Philosopher who united the belief of Advaita Vedanta. People also call him as Shankara Bhagavatpada. He established the four “Mathas” which literally mean Monasteries at Dwaraka, Jagannatha Puri, Sringeri, Badrikashrama.
Shankaracharya temple distance from Srinagar on the roadway is about 11 km. This is the fastest route via Reserve Forest Road which it takes 32 minutes to reach Srinagar. We can also choose another route via MA Road which is about 11.4 km and takes 33 minutes to reach.