Last Updated on
Panakala Narasimha Swamy Temple
Panakala Narasimha Swamy Temple is located in Mangaliri of Guntur district. This temple dedicates to Lord Vishnu in the form of Panakala Narasimha Swamy situated on a hill. Here the hill is in the shape of an elephant. This is one of the eight temples where Lord Vishnu self-manifested.panakam or jaggery water gives as prasadam.
History of Panakala Narasimha Swamy Temple:
As per the legends, King Pariyatra had a son name Hrusva sringi visited all holy places to get a normal bodily sculpture because he was born with deformities. Finally reached Mangaliri hill and stayed there for 3 years performing penance to Lord Narasimha Swamy. His father Pariyatra was unhappy and he wants to bring his son back he tried to convenience but he was not convinced with his words. Hrusava sringi took the shape of an elephant and became a mountain mangalagiri. In that case, he can be as an abode to Lord. Later Lord Vishnu in the form of Narasimha Avatar killed demon Namuchi with his chakram and self- manifested here.
Another interesting story behind this temple is Lord Rama visited this temple to attain redemption. Besides that, Lord Rama ordered Lord Hanuman to stay there as a Kshetrapalaka while leaving vaikuntam for the benefit of humans.
Amazing facts of Panakala Narasimha Swamy:
- Priests used to pour panakam or Jaggery water on the wide open mouth of Narasimha Swamy.only half of the panakam or Jaggery water will be accepted by Lord and remaining will come out and it offers to devotees as prasadam.
- When priests used to pour panakam or jaggery water into the mouth of Narasimha Swamy devotees can clearly hear a garlic sound.
- As we can see there will be no ants even after offering large quantities of panakam or Jaggery water.
- However, here the idol of the Lord appears with a wide mouth and is covered with a metal face of the god.
Panakala Narasimha Swamy Temple Timings:
- Generally, the temple opens at morning 7:00 a.m and closes at 4:00 p.m
How to Reach Panakala Swamy Temple:
By Air: The nearest airport is Vijayawada with a distance of 35 km.
On Rail: Mangalagiri and kolanukonda railway stations are near to Mangalagiri. However, Vijayawada railway station is major railway station to Managalagiri which is at a distance of 12 km.
By Bus: Vijayawada, Mangalagiri and Pedavalapadu bus stations are nearest bus stations to Mangalagiri. However, APSRTC runs a number of buses from all major cities.