Last Updated on
Neelkanth Mahadev Temple Rishikesh
Neelkanth Mahadev Temple Rishikesh is in the temple belongs to Lord Shiva. The temple is very near to the well-known place Rishikesh in the district of Pauri Garhwal, Uttarakhand. The deity of this temple is Lord Shiva in the form of Neelkanth Mahadev named Shivalinga. The temple is at the junction of 2 rivers namely Madhumati, Pankaja and adjacent to the Nar Narayan Mountain Range. The location of this temple is at the height of 1330 m between the 3 valleys of Vishnukoot, Brahmakoot, and Manikoot. Scroll down for history, how to reach Neelkanth Mahadev temple, Neelkanth Mahadev temple timings.
- Haridwar Har ki Pauri Ghat History, Aarti Timings and Photos
- Tirumala Tirupati VIP Break Darshan Types, Timings and Cost
According to the Legends, Once Devas and Asuras lost their powers. In order to regain their powers in the form of Amrita, Devas and Asuras should churn the Ocean of milk. During the incident of Saagaramadhan which mean the churning of an ocean, the emergence of Poison took place. But no one dares to drink then Lord Shiva came and drunk the whole poison. When the poison entered in the throat of Lord Shiva, Goddess Parvathi stopped it and the throat area turned into blue in color. From then he is being called as Neelkanth. The Word Neelkanth mean “The person with Blue colored throat”. The place where this incident took place is now calling as Neelkanth Mahadev Temple.
There are also some scripts on the walls of the temple with the explanation of this incident. Along with that, spring is also resent where devas and asuras used to take bath when they entered into this dense forest. It is now believing that people who take bath in the natural spring will be free from all their sins and becomes a clean soul. And also a peepal tree is also present near the temple where it is believing that people who make a wish and tie a thread from the bottom of their heart, the god will grant their wish.
- Gangotri Temple History, Timings and Photos of Gomukh Gangotri
- Jatoli Temple Solan History,Timings and Photos of the Temple
Neelkanth Mahadev Temple Timings:
- The temple will be opened through the year. So, the Neelkanth Mahadev temple timings are from 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM. As the temple is located in the dense forest, so the best time to visit the temple is during morning hours.
- Maha Shiva Rathri is a famous festival which is being celebrated annually. On this night people from various places come here to “Shiva Rathri Jaagar” which means waking up the whole night with the chanting of Lord Shiva.
How to reach Neelkanth Mahadev Temple:
- As mentioned earlier, the Neelkanth Mahadev temple is very nearer to well-known city Rishikesh. So, we should first reach Rishikesh on rail or bus or flight.
- However, Jolly Grant airport Dehradun is the nearest airport which is 49 km away. From there we can hire a vehicle to reach the temple.
- The nearest railway station is Rishikesh Railway Station which is 32 km from the temple. Buses are also available from Haridwar in regular intervals of time.
- Apart from these type of transport, there is also a trekking route from the Rishikesh Ramjhula to Neelkanth Mahadev Temple which its covers over a distance of 22 km.