Last Updated on
Naina Devi Temple Nainital
Naina Devi Temple Nainital is one of the powerful Shakti Peetas in India. It is present on the north edge of the lake Naini in Mallital area of Ayarpatta, Nainital in the state of Himachal Pradesh. The deity of this temple is Goddess Sati in the form of Naina Devi. If you want to visit this temple then it’s mandatory to know its details like Naina Devi Temple History, Timings, How to Reach Naina Devi Temple Himachal and Photos. So, move on to know its details…
Naina Devi Temple History:
According to the temple story, Once there lived a Daksha Prajapati who is the father of the Goddess Sati. She marries to Lord Shiva opposing his father Daksha Prajapati. Meanwhile, her father conducts Karnavarana Yagna and invites all gods and goddess except Lord Shiva. On knowing this Goddess Sati wants to attend the Yagna where Lord Shiva did not allow her to attend the Yagna. But she obstinately attends the yagna. Goddess Sati worried about the disrespectable behaviour of her father.She then got angry and burnt herself in the yagna saying that, she will again marry Lord Shiva in the next life itself.
Knowing this Lord Shiva arrives the place of Yagna. And carries the mortal remains of the Goddess Sati on his shoulder and started his travel to Kailasa. In the middle of his journey, some parts of the mortal remain had fallen on the earth. And the present location of the temple is where the eyes part of the Goddess Sati had fallen. However, the word “Naina” means “Eyes”.
According to the scripts, the temple was built in the 15th Century during the period of Kushan. Afterwards, this temple might have destroyed and the idol of this temple was installed by the Moti Lal Shah in 1842. But again it leads to damage due to the landslides. Then later temple was built in 1883 by the locals near the Naina Devi Temple.
At present, the main temple has 3 deities namely Kali Devi, Naina Devi and Lord Ganesh from left to right respectively. Lord Hanuman idol also present at the outside of the temple.
Naina Devi Temple Nainital Timings:
- The Naina Devi temple opens throughout the year. However, the timings are from 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM.
- Nanda Ashtami is the main festival which celebrates for 8 days annually. On the last day of this festival, a formality of dipping the idols will take place.
- Apart from this festival, Navratri and Chaitra is also the main festival where a number of devotees will come to the temple for the goddess blessings.
How to Reach Naina Devi Temple Himachal
If you want to know How to Reach Naina Devi Temple Himachal then here is the guide for you to get a clear view about the temple
- On Air: If you choose to go through the air, then Pantnagar Airport and Indira Gandhi International Airport Delhi are the near airports which are of 86 km and 131 km respectively to reach the temple. However, Delhi airport is used for the devotees who come from out of India.
- By Rail: Nainital itself has the Railway Station which is well connected to the major cities of India named Kathgodam which is of 41 km from the temple. From there we can hire the local transport also.
- On Road: We can even reach the temple through a bus or private vehicle through the NH87 which is of 320 km from Delhi to Nainital.