Home / Temples / Andhra Pradesh / Kadiri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple | History and Photos

Kadiri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple | History and Photos

Kadiri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple

Kadiri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy temple is an old temple located in Anantapur district. The word Kadiri is derived from the word Kadri. In which ‘Ka’ means Lord Vishnu’s footprint (Vishnu Padam)  and Adri means hill. People believe that Narasimha Swamy stayed at the roots of Kadiri Vruksham (Chanda Vruksha or Indian Mulberry tree or Canary Tree) for a long period.

A fascinating fact about this temple is that sweat comes out from the deity’s icon after Abhishekam.

kadiri laxmi narsimha

Legends of Kadiri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy temple:

Once Lord Vishnu took a form as Narasimha Swamy to kill the demon Hiranya Kasyapa. Even after the demon’s assassination, the lord began to roam the hills and forests with anger.

At Sthothadri hill which is nearby Kadiri Town, Prahalada and Devas prayed him to calm his anger. Finally, Lord was glad about their prayer and left his anger in this place. Since then the other name for  Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy temple is Prahalada Sametha Narasimha Swamy Temple.

Kadiri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple History:

Once Swamy appeared in the dream of Veera Bukka Raayulu who belongs to Vijayanagar reign and disclosed his location.

The king along with his workforce fetch the idol from the tree’s roots and built the temple.

Phase

Construction Details

The first Phase  

During 1353 AD Bukka Raya I completed the construction of Gopuram

Second Phase

Harihara Raya made renovations during 1356  AD – 1418 AD

The third Phase  

During 1509 AD – 1529 AD Sri Krishna Devaraya renovated it

As the time passed, the idols from the temple got disappeared, Lord appeared in the dreams of Achyutha Devarayulu and disclosed his whereabouts. The king bought the god’s icon from the Sthothadri hill caves and placed in the temple.

Kadiri Narasimha Swamy Temple Construction:

In the year 391, Lakshmana Dasari and Narasimha Dasari laid pillar within the temple premises for lighting lamps. Sri Krishna Devaraya constructed the corridor with Lion face and Alwar Sanctum in the year 1509. And again in 1545, Achyuta Devaraya built the East Raja Gopuram, Lord Vinayaka temple, Lord Krishna temple and Raghavendra Brundavan.

In 1569, Sri Thirumala Raya constructed Pushkarini and corridors. In the year 1642 Chatrapati Shivaji built Mahisasura Mardini. The East, West and South Raja Gopuram were built in the Vijayanagar dynasty period. In the years 1451 and 1529, Tadipatri region chief constructed 1000 pillar mandapam and Kotai Mantapam.

Kadiri Narasimha Swamy Temple Rathotsavam

Rathotsavam is an annual chariot festival celebrated splendidly. Lord is taken out in chariot where devotees take part in huge number in pulling the chariot.

How to reach Kadiri Narasimha Swamy Temple?

  • The temple is 180  km away from Tirupati, direct buses are available from Tirupati to Kadiri.
  • however, Trains are available from Kadiri to Tirupati.
  • Direct buses are available from Anantapur at a good frequency to temple.

Kadiri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple Photos: