Last Updated on
Sabarimala Temple Opening Date
Sabarimala Temple is a famous Keralian temple and that is dedicated to Lord Ayyappa Swamy or Ayyappan. The temple is on the top of a mountain named Sabarimala at an elevation of 3000 ft in Pathanamthitta district of Kerala.
Temple of Sabarimala is known for its uniqueness in many aspects and it is open to all irrespective of creed, caste, and religion. This post provides all the details of the Sabarimala Temple Opening Date briefly.
There is another temple called Vavarunda near to temple that is dedicated to Vavar, who was a Muslim friend of God Ayyappa. While it is considered as the epitome of religious harmony.
Sabarimala Diksha :
The temple of Sabarimala will be opened only in during some auspicious days like Mandalapooja, Makaravilakku, and Chitra Vishnu. As a result, the time of the temple during those days will be crowded with worshippers.
Devotees have to fast for 41 days in order to cleanse their soul and bodies to visit Sabarimala Temple. Because of this, the devotees will very strictly follow the fast 41 days and visit the temple.
The fast will be followed throughout the Mandala Kalam, hence the visit of devotees to temple at Sabarimala during Mandala Kalam is in huge number.
The fast includes many conditions to be followed. Here fasting is not only about refraining from food but also refraining from many other activities.
- First of all, one should take a bath twice a day with cold water i.e, early morning and evening before Pooja. However, the Diksha time comes in the season of Winter.
- One must only have vegetarian food.
- Chastity must follow very strictly.
- One must meditate daily to purify their thoughts.
- One must also refrain from all kinds of entertainment including watching movies etc. Basically, one should not indulge in any kind of activity that invokes sensual pleasure.
- Apart from commercial entertainment, the people in Diksha can listen to and dance to the devotional songs.
- In addition to these, one suggest walking barefoot during fasting
- Above all, one should dress up in a black colour dress from the beginning of the fast to the visit.
Timings of Sabarimala temple:
Openings dates and timings are as per below details.
- Temple Darshan timing is 3:00 AM- 1:00 PM.
- During the pilgrim season, the temple probably reopens at 3:00 pm and closes by 11:00 pm.
Literally, Neyyabhishekam means performing abhisheka to the idol with Ghee where “Neyyi” means Ghee.
- It will be started at 3:30 am and ends by 7:00 am, or starts at 8:30 am and ends by 11:00 am
Sabarimala Temple opening date:
|Pooja and Festival Details||Temple Opening Date|
Temple Closing Date
|Monthly Pooja(Kumbham)||12 Feb||17Feb|
|Monthly Pooja(Meenam)||14 Mar|
Utsavam Aarattu- Panguni Uthram. (Ayyappan Nakshatra Birth Date) & Arattu Temple Closes.
|Vishnu Mahotsavam – Meda||10 Apr||18 Apr|
|–||Vishnu Mahotsavam – Meda||15 Apr|
|Monthly Pooja – Edavam||10 May|
|Idol Installation Day(Pratistha Dinam)||24 May||25 May|
|Monthly Pooja – karkkidakam||16 Jul||21 Jul|
|August 2019||Monthly Pooja – Chingam||16 Aug|
|Onam Pooja||23 Aug|
|–||Onam day||25 Aug|
|September 2019||Monthly Pooja – Kanni||16 Sep|
|Monthly Pooja – Thulam||17 Oct||22 Oct|
|November 2019||Sree Chitra Atta Thirunal||5 Nov|
Mandala Pooja Mahotsavam
|Mandala Pooja||27 Dec|
|–||Thirunada reopens for Makara Vilakku Mahotsavam||30 Dec|
20 Jan 2020
|January 2020||Makara Vilakku Day||14 Jan 2020|