Kollur Mookambika Temple:
Kollur Mookambika temple is located in Kollur village of Udupi district in Karnataka. It is 1200 years old temple. In Tamil Nadu, the temple is referred to as Moogambigai and in Kerala, it is referred to as Mookambi.
Mookambika Temple Legends:
Demon Kamhasura used to live here, he was blessed with a boon by Lord Shiva that no male can slay him to death. He started misusing his power by bothering the gods and sages. Kamhasura disturbed sage Kola’s penance while he was performing prayers to Shiva Lingam. Kola prayed strongly for Goddess Parvati, then Parvati incarnated as Thrisoolanayaki. Kamhasuru comes to know that his death is approaching him by a female. Upon knowing that the demon had undergone a strict atonement ageing for God Shiva. Lord Shiva appears before he asks for a wish, feeling the danger, Paravati made him dumb. Since then kamhasura was naming as Mookasura, meaning muted demon. Later Goddess Parvati killed Mookasura with the help of Veerabhadra. The place where Parvati slew Mookasura came to be called Marna Katte.
Koolur village is named after the sage Kola, he was presented with the Swarnarekha Lingam by Lord Shiva. The sage asks Lord Shiva how he could worship the lingam without the Goddess Parvati. Then the Lord replies, on the left side of the lingam there will be three manifestations of Lakshmi, Parvati and Saraswati.
Guru Adi Sankaracharya has performed mediation at Kondachari hills for the Goddess Mookambika Devi. The goddess appears and asks him to make a wish. He wishes to install an icon in a place in Kerala. Goddess agrees for it with one condition, she says that she will follow him till the destination but he should not look back. If he looks back then he must install the icon at the place where the Goddess will be at that moment.
In the journey, the Goddess stops her voice and anklets intentionally in order to test him. Adi Sankara gets doubt and turns back to check. As the condition breaks, he has to install the idol at that the place where he was present at that moment. Adi Sankara installs the icon and prays to the goddess to forgive him. Then Goddess agrees to present at Chottanikkara temple that is in Kerala in morning hours and returns to Kollur by afternoon hours.
Suparna is an eagle who performs penance for the Goddess to obtain moksha. The river Souparnika near the temple is named after Suparna.
Kollur Mookambika Temple Darshan Timings:
- Morning Hours: 5:00 am – 1:30 pm
- Evening Hours: 3:00 pm – 9:00 pm
At the counter, number 4 and 5 seva Prasadam will issue.
Kollur Mookambika Dress Code:
- White Dhoti with upper cloth
- Saree, half saree, Punjabi dress or chudidhar with dupatta.
Kollur Mookambika Temple address:
Sri Mookambika Templ, Kollur – 576 220,
Kundur Taluk, Udupi District, Karnataka.
Kollur Mookambika Temple Contact Number
- Landline numbers: 08254 258221 / 258489 / 258328 / 258488 / 258521
How to reach Kollur Mookambika Temple?
- Mangalore airport is the nearest airport, it is 136 km away.
- Mangalore railway station is well connected to all Southern parts of India, it is 137 km away from the temple.
- Udupi railway station is 76.4 km away from the temple.
- Byndoor railway station is 29.4 km away from the temple.
- Kollur Mookambika temple is 72.8 km away from Udupi bus station.
- Mangalore bus station is 132 km away from the temple.
The temple has some guesthouse stay for the devotees. Here are the details of the lodge including name, rent..etc. However,
Lalithamba Guest House
- AC _ Deluxe Room _ Rs. 600
- Without AC _ Deluxe Room _ Rs. 300
- AC _ Non-Deluxe Room _ Rs. 500
- Without AC _ Non-Deluxe Room _ Rs. 200
- Without AC _ Non-Deluxe Room(3 Beds) _ Rs. 300
- Big Hall _ Rs. 300
Jagadmbika Guest House
- Deluxe Room(3 Beds) _ Rs. 500
- Non-Deluxe(3 Beds) _ Rs. 250
Sowparnika Guest House
- Non-Deluxe Rooms(3 Bed) _ Rs. 300
Matha Chatra Guest House
- Non-Deluxe Rooms(3 Beds) _ Rs. 200
- Big Hall _ Rs. 200